Friday, June 5, 2009

:)

So many of you guys have asked me to update you all more frequently. At times I have felt like many of the days I don't have much exciting to write about, but I will try to write anyways:) The time has flown by- I have almost been in Cochabamba three weeks! The first set of medical students leave tonight on bus to go to La Paz for a couple of days and then to Cuzco and then back to the US. It has been fun to get to know the guys and it'll be fun to see what the next team is like.

The past week or so the burn center has been really slow. Many of the children that I had gotten to know were able to go home! It's fun to see their progress and to see them smile and talk more as the days go by.
Below is a pic. of Marta. She was at the burn center from the day I arrived and at first we thought she was shy- but soon found out she is definently not quiet. She was the cutest little girl ever and she knew how to get what she wanted. She spoke quechua, but learned a lot of spanish by the time left and was soon saying to everyone, "o ye" (hey you!). She went home a couple of days ago and it is so quiet without her!


I met a little girl yesterday, Lizbeth (pictured below with Cory one of the med. students). She is 9 years old and had surgery on tuesday. Yesterday one of the nurses called me over to help explain to the medical students that Lizbeth could go home now, but that the hospital bill was 800bs, which is around $114 (7bs = $1). Her mom only had 500bs, so the hospital was going to keep Lizbeth there until she could pay (and everyday the cost rises). We were able to help pitch in and pay for some of the cost. Lizbeth called us over then to thanks us all. I just keep thinking about how easily we spend money and how we buy things we really don't need. Lizbeth is now living at the Albergue (a little house for the kids who have left the hospital, but still need physical therapy).
I have now started to help at another clinic called "Boliviana Americana." Yesterday was my first day and when I arrived the head nurse showed me around and then I was able to sit in on a c-section! I did not really expect to get light headed and to have to step out to get some air, but the doctor told me that it happens to everyone the first couple of times. A beautiful baby girl was born, Camilla, and I was able to dress her and help weigh and measure her! I am really looking forward to see what other opportunities I will be able to have at the clinica!

No comments:

Post a Comment